Because of various problems with Blogger, I've copied everything as of November 26, 2012 over to WordPress. The new location is Ask the Scientologist. I am not deleting this blog and will still accept comments and answer questions here too, but any new articles will appear at the WordPress location. I apologize if this causes any problems.

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Who is in charge of the church of Scientology?

Question:
Is there somebody in charge of this group? I heard that a guy named Heber Jentzsch was the President.

Answer:
Originally, of course, L. Ron Hubbard was in charge. There is a long convoluted story about how he wasn't supposed to be running the church, but he pretty much ran things until just before he died.

Officially, there are multiple levels of organization, with multiple groups of people "in charge" of the church. There was the "Watch Dog Committee", and "Exec Strata", and "CMO Int" and "RTC" (I'll have to post a glossary now), and there was even a "President of the Church of Scientology" (a figurehead position of no power) who was Heber Jentzsch . Supposedly, all these organizations and groups were supposed to watch each other and the church and keep things running well.

However, none of these organizations or groups of individuals have any power any more. In the 1980s, while Hubbard was in hiding, and then died, one person, David Miscavige, took control of the church in a coup d'etat, that eventually gutted all of the upper organizations and groups and left him in sole control.

The staff who were originally in positions of management have all been removed, most are locked up in a pseudo-prison in the church's compound in Hemet, California. Heber Jentzsch is locked up there. Some executives were kicked out or escaped, and many have told their stories.

Oddly enough, although Miscavige has been solely in charge and has been directing things for more than 20 years, he continues to blame all the church's troubles and failures on others. As he gets more desperate, the actions he takes get more grandiose, expensive and ... strange. Except for the poor souls who still believe in him, it could be an entertaining show as the church goes down.

6 comments:

  1. Just Bill, you say,

    "David Miscavige, took control of the church in a coup d'etat, that ...left him in sole control."

    But what about CST? Even the King has a round table of Knights, doesn't it?

    From my understanding, three of the four Special Directors of CST who are appointed "for life," are tax attys." or "tax cruds" -as LRH called them- & non-scientologists, with Lyman Spurlock being the only non tax atty and scientologist; so my question is DOES MISCAVIGE REALLY RUN THE "CHURCH?" Does he REALLY run things?

    Again, from my understanding, he can even BE FIRED by the SDs who run CST & own the majority of the trademarks & registered marks that they allow RTC to control. Have you researched this at all?

    Btw, I originally wanted to ASK A QUESTION but when I clicked on this, I'd not get anything to post my question, so I opted for leaving a comment. Anyhow, I'd like to hear your views on this cause everyone always talks about Miscavige & they never mention Meade Emory & the two Lenske brothers, again, all three "tax cruds" and Meade used to be Assistant to the IRS Commissioner when the "church" was being investigated in the late 70s by the IRS and they were trying to indict Hubbard, who went immediately in hiding. As a matter of fact, he died very conveniently for Miscavige & Co. in early 1986 when the IRS was about to do so, making Hubbard's death EVEN MORE mysterious and untimely.

    O.K. thanks. I'll be looking forward to you response. I'm an ex-member of 25+ yrs and I think you guys have done a SUPERB job. Your explanations of everything I've read so far -and I'm eating your site up like a hungry termite- are the clearest I've heard from ANYONE. My Kudos to you, Just Bill. I've been meaning to do what you've already accomplished. I just wrapped up the "Scientology: Thought Control" 4 part article and it's VERY enlightening. I've probably arrived at most everything "conceptually" already but you've articulated it for me and I must say I couldn't have said or done it better. Your site is a "must read" for ALL Scientologists, ex or not & to all Anonymous or persons interested in the cult, etc.

    Alright, thanks again, and I'll be checking in to see what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments and praise.

    Don't know about why the "Ask a Question" link didn't work. Seems like Blogger has an occasional glitch. Seems to work fine now.

    I understand your question. That whole CST thing is mysterious and deliberately confusing.

    In actual fact, the CST Special Directors have no power over Miscavige. He truly is solely in charge. Don't ask me to explain because I don't understand all the legalities. Check out Larry Brennan's blog for more information. He was the one who set all that up and knows exactly who has the power and why. Fascinating reading!

    Yes, Hubbard's death was very convenient for Miscavige, but it may be impossible to prove he was directly responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will read Larry Brennan's affidavit which I've been meaning to do. Is this where you get the information that David Miscavige is in or has total control of Scientology?

    "Meade Emory is founder of the Church of Spiritual Technology (CST), doing business under the fraudulent fictitious business name of "L. Ron Hubbard Library." It isn't a church, and it isn't a library: it's the richest and most powerful corporation in the entire Scientology empire, owner of all the copyrights, owner and controller of the most important trademarks, being run by the Internal Revenue Service through three non-Scientologist tax attorneys hand-picked by Meade Emory and "the Service"--IRS--to be Special Directors of CST for life.

    But Meade did far more than just found CST.

    Meade Emory also was the architect of the entire corporate restructuring that took place between 1981 and 1983, creating at least five key corporations that would complete the fraud."

    http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/sci-infiltrated.htm#sc-i-r-s-ology

    This flies in the face of Brennan being "the architect," well, he says he was in charge of the corporate sort-out & restructuring. So I wonder what the connection was -if any- between Brennan & Emory.

    One last thing I wanted to comment on was -because I DO understand and agree it is complicated, confusing & mysterious- that there's ONLY ONE "registered agent" for not just CST but all other of the main Scn corporations created, namely, RTC, CSI, Author Services, BPI & even Narconon, if I remember right. I might be forgetting one or two & now I can't find the site where I read this.

    In other words, the CST is NOT a "church" or a "library" but a private company; a business. This business is run by one Meade Emory. Meade Emory is founder of the Church of Spiritual Technology (CST). It also does business as L. Ron Hubbard Library which is also NOT a "library," as I've also said:

    So I'm still left thinking how could David Miscavige be, as you say, "solely in charge" and the 4 SDs have no power over him? You said not to ask you to explain so I'm not but do you have any further ideas or speculations on this.

    O.K. thanks for your time. I'm off to read Larry Brennan's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a lot of wild rumors about Hubbard and Scientology. Lots. I have found that people will build up fairly detailed stories from very little real information.

    The thing about Larry Brennan is he was there and he provides massive amounts of real information.

    But the stories about Meade Emory? I read the suppositions, but I don't see evidence and any real proof.

    I'm not saying it's all false, I'm just saying I prefer proof.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! How do people get so misled into these things. I truly don't understand. There are no other words to describe it except this.... Scientology is pure EVIL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who is second in charge of Scientology?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be moderated. Have patience, I get around to it pretty quick. As a rule of thumb, I won't approve spam, off-topic, trolling or abusive stuff. The rest is usually OK. Yes, you can disagree with me.